Mansion: First Death of the Lutheran ulukona nyt!

Aloittaja Vekenator, 14:24:18 - 08.12.2018

« edellinen - seuraava »

Vekenator

Tämä saatavilla nyt. Julkaisijana I hate records:

2You'll see Turku, Finland's Mansion referred to as 'cult rock' a lot. It's kind of true the way abbreviations stand in for words. The truth of what Mansion do and have done since their 2014 premiere EP, Uncreation, is much more complex. Their awaited debut album, First Death of the Lutheran, is out this week on I Hate Records, and it pushes to new ground in both the conceptual framework and actual songwriting approach on the part of the band. As 12-minute summary/closer "First Death" starts out with psychedelic flourish and effects en route to a sax-inclusive tumult of experimentalist noise, it is as affecting in atmosphere as in impact, and though I'll have a review of the album in the coming weeks, I was given the opportunity to ask the band some questions, and it wasn't one I was going to pass up.

For those who didn't hear Uncreation, 2015's Altar Sermon, or any of the other short releases they've had out along the way, Mansion follow a theme not just of vague, generalized occultmansion first death of the lutheran thematics, but actually take on Kartanoism as their working foundation. The doomsday-obsessed post-WWI breakaway Protestant group followed leader Alma Kartano and her strict interpretations of the Bible and rules for everyday life. That kind of severity shows up in every whip-crack of the snare drum on opener "Wretched Hope"  and in the grueling forward march and unremitting low-light claustrophobia of "Lutheran" and "The Eternal," which follow. With mysterious "1933" ahead of the finale, First Death of the Lutheran is an appropriate endgame for the style of cult heavy as a whole, but at the same time, it works against genre convention in its sound and the overarching harshness of its production. Not raw — it's clear-sounding — but sharp.

I'll have a proper review of the album up in the coming weeks, but on the occasion of the release, I'm flat-out honored to host the premiere of its entirety below. It's one I've been waiting a while for, and its reach only exceeds what I imagined they'd come up with for it."

http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/tag/mansion/

Wretched Hope musavideo tuolta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2soJfuhAMxo&t=1s

Levyä saa helpoiten täältä:

https://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/mansion/first_death_of_the_lutheran/#609416

Vinyyli ilmestyy ensvuoden puolella.

Levy kuunneltavissa kokonaan mm. Spotifysta tai tuolta Obeliskin sivuilta.

karol

Tämä lätty elikkäs levykäinen kuulosti tänään ihan asialliselta Äxän hevikellarissa.

papu

Mietin vähä sellasta hommaa et joskus menis nukkumaan päikkärit Äxän hevikellariin.

karol

Lainaus käyttäjältä: papu - 14:41:04 - 09.12.2018
Mietin vähä sellasta hommaa et joskus menis nukkumaan päikkärit Äxän hevikellariin.

Hyvä idea! Ai että, päikkärit luuranko kainalossa hevikellarissa.  8)

Vekenator

Truly different, bold and confident. MANSION's debut is damn near perfect in every way. I'm convinced we're in an era of discovery and profound evolution in Metal as we've known it. It seems that every few months another band comes along and drastically raises the bar with a jaw dropping debut or release. Well, MANSION has done just that, and I'll be damned if I didn't discover it too late to have added it to my 2018 Best of List. Rest assured, had I known about it in 2018, it would have ranked high on my list. Not just my Metal list, but my all genre inclusive list. It's that darn impressive.

Call it Doom, or Cult Doom. Call it Occult Metal or even NuMetal. Maybe even Psychedelic to a degree. I guarantee you it's like nothing you've heard before. This is about as dark, and gothic as Metal (or music for that matter) comes. Yet, at the same time, the songs are warm and beguiling. The band hails from Finland and have released "First Death of the Lutheran" via I Hate Records, following their EP release "We Shall Live". The songs, while simple, have a depth that prevails throughout. Layered, mixed and produced to perfection, the album's five tracks clock in at a total just bit over 40 minutes. Just enough to keep you longing for more.

Opening with "Wretched Hope", the track opens with a definite essence of fear, with sounds reminiscent of nothing short of Doom itself. Whispers lead us "away from the Lord" and begin our descent into the darker themes. Alma's vocals, as well as the choral like backing vocals set the mood quite effectively, while Veikko-Tapio and Jaakob's guitars slip in and out like a rabid serpent, darting here and about with riffs and striking with seductive leads. When these leads really take off, you realize there's no turning back. They've got you. You're in for the long haul.

The subject matter and lyrical content can obviously be controversial for some. Yet, from an artistic perspective, the pure beauty of this album should easily outweigh any such concerns if given a chance. There's such a fascinating creative element at work here, with the usage of the organ, unique percussion and even a saxophone. MANSION keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout, even through repeated listens. I found the album most enchanting at an elevated volume and through the use of headphones. There's a lot happening sonically in the background, and these methods absolutely enhanced the listening experience. What a debut. Simply brilliant. Bravo.

Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Memorability: 10
Production: 10

http://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/reviews/cd_3/m_2/mansion-first-death.htm